Thursday, February 5, 2009

Training is over

We've completed our training and left the training site for good yesterday. It wrapped up with a goodbye ceremony during which we thanked our host families and city officials for taking such good care of us. I was one of a few people to give a speech in a local language. I was so nervous, but it seemed to have gone well. I'm learning the local language that my host family speaks, so I wanted to do the speech as a way to thank them.

We have our swearing in ceremony tomorrow where we become volunteers. A few days of traveling and then I move in to my site. A little nervewracking, but it will be nice to have my own space and to unpack my bags for good. My apartment is in a family's house, so it's like having a host family again. They are so friendly and nice to me, so I know I won't be lonely if I don't want to be.

I've updated the mailing post (my first post, so you'll have to click View Old Posts to see it) to include a list of requests for packages. This is for those who were wondering, because by all means, I am so happy to receive packages. And letters are wonderful as well! It's so great to hear about home and to know how much amazing support I have. I really appreciate it, thank you!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Kate! I am glad to hear that you are doing well. Congrats on completing your training. I hope you have a good time at your site! Will try to send something via mail soon...

Rodney said...

Yeah Kate! Congratulations on your promotion. Don't go blowing all your bonus money on frivolities now. Think of all those suffering Wall Street executives with diminished expectations. I have a big box in my office that I'm about to send. It's full of "educational supplies." Hope they are, uh, educational.