Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mailing

Thanks everyone for all of your support and well wishes. I really appreciate them! I'll try to send updates whenever I have internet access. Please send me updates. You can email me at the same gmail address I've been using. Also, you can send me letters and packages. There are a lot of suggestions out there regarding this. Below are some details I borrowed from someone who went to the trouble of listing out the various suggestions. Thanks Dorian!





Mailing Address:

Kate [last name], PCV
Corps de la Paix Americain
BP 1927
Conakry, Guinea
West Africa




All mail is delivered to PC HQ, and then they do a monthly mail run out to my site to give me everything I have received. Something you send could take up to six weeks to actually get to me, and outgoing mail is no better. But PLEASE send letters and packages as often as possible. They will keep up my morale! When you send letters, number them clearly at the top and put the date. Also, make a photocopy of the letter before you send it in case any get lost in the mail, so we will still have it if it never gets here. Good things to send with letters are photos, comics, and news clippings. Do not send money or anything valuable as oftentimes the edges of letters will be clipped to see if there is anything of value inside.If you’re sending a postcard, put it in an envelope. The pretty pictures are likely to end up posted on some Guinean’s wall instead of mine. Be sure to write “AIR MAIL” and “PAR AVION” on the envelope.



Packages:

1. Print the address label from a computer if possible to make it official-looking. I have read that packages with labels printed by hand have not made it to their destination.

2. Insure the package, even if it’s just granola bars. One volunteer kept track of his packages and received 100% of those that were insured and only 56% of uninsured packages. Write “INSURED” and “ASSURANCE” (French) on the outside. Also write “AIR MAIL” and “PAR AVION” on the box.

3. Number and date your packages so I know I am receiving them.

4. If there is something super-important you really want me to get, put it inside an empty tampon box – apparently no one will touch it.

5. Mail is less likely to be tampered with if it’s addressed in red ink.

6. It’s also less likely to be tampered with if you draw crosses and write religious phrases on it (in French) such as “Dieu regardez-vous” or “Dieu merci”.

7. Please tape the box up really, really well after you seal it so no one can easily reach in and steal stuff.

8. If sending food, please wrap and double wrap in plastic bags (ziplocs preferably, since I can reuse them) to avoid rats and other wonderful creatures from sharing in on my treats.

9. You will also be required to fill out customs declaration form PS Form 2976-A. You can complete this form at the post office or online before you ship at https://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/. Indicate all contents as “Used” on the customs form to reduce the risk of theft.

10. On the Customs form, when listing the contents make them lame. For example, tell them you are sending me pencils or education materials and not expensive chocolate or soccer balls. Just downplay everything. If you’re sending books, magazines, DVDs, things like that, you can mark it as “educational materials” (I would say you could even mark that for stuff like soccer balls and stuff for kids), as it is less likely to be tampered with.

11. If what you’re sending is relatively heavy, I suggest sending with the post office’s Priority Mail flat rate international box (same as the domestic box), as the weight restriction is 20 pounds as long as the stuff fits in the box. The rate is $38.95 for the regular box (11" x 8.5" x 5.5") and $49.95 for the larger box (12” x 12” x 6”). This rate is only good for parcels, so DO NOT include a letter inside as you may be charged the letter rate, not package rate, for the whole package. If you want to include a letter, it is suggested that you tape it underneath the address label or to the inside page of a magazine so it is unlikely to be detected. If what you are sending is light, you may be able to pay less than the flat rate. Ask your local post office.

12. There is no method of disposing of trash or recyclables where I will be going (other than burning or throwing on the ground), so please minimize packaging or put things in containers I can reuse, like Ziploc bags, jars or airtight plastic containers/Tupperware.Be aware that you can do all of this stuff online at www.usps.com, including ordering free flat rate boxes, printing postage, and scheduling a pickup. In fact, you get a 5% discount on the shipping fee if you do it online.

[Edit:] Now that I've been here a while and seen what's available in-country (there is a lot), I have some ideas of what to send in packages:
Newspaper/magazine clippings (articles and crossword puzzles)
Gummy bears!
Dried soup and sauce mixes
Spices
Brown sugar
Yeast (found a recipe for bagels I'd like to try out)
Store brand AA batteries
Cheese products that won't perish - cheese and crackers or cheezits for example
Chocolate - my favorite is dark chocolate
Tuna fish pouches
Chicken meat pouches
Beef jerky
Plastic containers from restaurants or deli counters
Shampoo plus Conditioner
Deodorant
M&M's
Herbal Teas
Cake/Cookie mixes, preferably ones that request only water and eggs


Please go ahead and send everything as store brand because it's quality is really good.

But no matter what you send, I will be so so so happy to receive a package. Just having something in my hands from home is a huge reminder of all the amazing support I have from back home.

Lastly, here is a test upload or as Donna put it, a "Before" picture. My passport photo picture.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

Yay, Kate! I'm so excited to read your blog. Good luck!

donna said...

Yay blog! Are you there yet?

I really like the part about writing "God is watching you" on the packages (I think they meant "Dieu vous regarde") and the tampon box trick. Fun.

Kate said...

Nope, I arrive on Thursday morning. We're in Philly now for a mini orientation. A few more precious american meals.

Rodney said...

Hmmm. I don't think I'm going to be doing the tampon box thing. I can't see how I might, um, procure, said box. On the other hand, the religious iconography sounds doable.

Theresa said...

Thanks for the information, Kate. I think I'll do everything so I know my packages are extra safe.

Have you decided what to have for you last american meal?

Oh, and what day/time is your flight to Africa?

Rodney said...

@ Theresa: Send me an email and I can give you the flight info. My email address is "rodneychun" at [the same email provider as Kate].

Deb said...

I wonder what kind of pets you will have in Guinea...
I am so excited for you!

Dan said...

Kate! I wanted to say bye but I couldn't... may you be safe and happy in Guinea!

Too bad soba doesn't travel well in the mail ;)

Kate said...

Thanks Dan. I meant to call to wish you a Happy Birthday. I hope everything worked out with your car.

Deb, I heard a dog bark near the office today. Someone said some other people who went to the beach were playing with puppies there! There's definitely some promising leads. I think I'll be okay.

My last meal: I wanted it to be Korean Bipimbop, but the place closed at 8. I always forget that. So I went to another place and had a turkey sandwich, but only half of it. I was too nervous to have a real appetite. But I am eating well now and feel fine.