Thursday, February 5, 2009

Visuals from Training

The kitchen at my host family's house in our training city. During meal preparations, sauce is usually cooked in a big pot on the right and rice in a big pot on the right. They jam sticks in from all three sides to get a roaring fire going. Amazingly, the dried roof never catches fire, at least from what I observed.



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is a view of the street from the front yard of my host family's house. There's a pretty serious rutt in the road, not uncommon in this country. The ground is just so dry. I washed my shoes well for the goodbye ceremony, as my host mother insisted, but only 10 feet from the house and my shoes and feet were dirty all over again. Oh well.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is the duck living with my host family to keep my sister healthy. She told me she faints sometimes, perhaps epilepsy? I've received this sister's name and so has the duck. My sister is [her name] #1, I'm [her name] #2, and the duck is #3. The duck is not often treated so nicely by children here, so I tried to counteract this by being super nice to the duck. Not sure how much success I had with this. But my family definitely made a lot of jokes at my expense. So I succeeded at something! For example, when I pulled out the camera to take pictures of my family, they insisted I take some of the duck too. Of course I agreed!
.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

This is a view of the well.



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is the jerry can with a cutout often used to retrieve water from the wells.




.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is a pineapple field on a beautiful farm we toured in a rural district of my city.





.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Isn't it just paradise? We've dubbed it Hanali - from Puff the Magic Dragon.







.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is a view from where we held our workshop with our counterparts. You can get a sense for the houses. This is a hilly region of the country. It was also rather chilly in the mornings here, perhaps in the 60's.







.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
More views from the workshop site.









No comments: