Thursday, December 4, 2008

Safely In Country

I'm in the PC Office for Guinea in Conakry where the internet connection and power is iffy. We arrived this morning after a stop in Dakar, Senegal. There are palm trees and lots of green and views of the ocean from the roof of where we'll be staying the next few days. And it's very hot and humid. Perhaps in the 90's. The housing at the PC Office is in a separate building inside the same compound as the office. We have electricity (except when it goes out for a spell) and showers with hot water! Lunch was a buffet with the largest bowl of rice I've ever seen followed by chunks of fish and spicy vegetables. Also, a coke. It's not so bad so far. I feel well, other than being a tired from the traveling. I won't have any trouble sleeping tonight. We're in rooms with 8 bunk beds. Everyone in the group is friendly and fun to be around. We have some current volunteers with us at our training. They met us at the airport and helped transfer our bags to the vans and trucks. All of us new volunteers have watches and not a single current volunteer does, if that tells you anything. We hear a lot of French now. It's exciting to get back into it.

I cannot post pictures yet and may not be able to because the computers are in high demand and slow. Also, I cannot get to all my emails now because the internet connection is too slow to answer them all in a timely manner. I miss you all! I'm doing fine and really enjoying it. Theresa, Happy (Early) Birthday!!

2 comments:

Rodney said...

Way cool! The blog idea is fantastic -- it boggles (bloggles?) the mind to read your posts all the way from Africa. Those bits really travel fast. Hope you adjust to the tropical weather.

Oh, yeah -- first post?

Kate said...

Sure do travel fast, on the satellite in fact. It gets hot, but I haven't felt anything like heat stroke yet. I need to remind myself to stay out of the sun. We're being spoiled here (or slowly transitioned to life in Guinea, as they say), by having AC in most rooms. The bedrooms, the computer room I'm in now, and the meeting room. I doubt there's any chance I'll have it at my homestay. Then I'll really have to start adjusting.