Sunday, June 7, 2009

Observations Continue

Officially, the observation period is over. However I am certain observations will continue forever. I know enough to know I'll be learning something new about how things are here every day I'm here. Following the observation period was another round of training where we discussed in details techniques and ideas we could implement now that we have some possible project ideas in mind. We also compared notes on what we learned about our communities. It was great to see everyone in my group and catch up.

Now we can begin working! I say this with sarcasm because work is a loose term for us. It isn't exactly what most people back home think of as work. In some senses, most volunteers have already begun working during the observation period. Work here entails any project idea we may feel compelled to pursue. Pursuing the idea can include any number of things, but in general, it includes locating resources (be those people or objects or information) and having conversations with people trying to get them on board with the project. I did not begin any projects during my observation period. I tried to gather as much information as possible, through formal and informal meetings. I have a few ideas for projects that I will now begin putting together. In planning these projects, I could very well discover that they're not feasible for one reason or another. My major idea is to help the cyber cafe my partner organization sinks money into each month reach autonomy. One way to reach this goal is to give computer literacy trainings. There is a great demand for this. It would be very exciting to help people acquire these skills that could assist them in their work or in their search for employment. At this point, I'm working with my organization who has already begun working on this project with their donor organization. We'll continue discussions in order to plan out the project. Another idea is to support an organization for the promotion of nutrition. They do work with a tree called Moringa that we learned about in training. I will help the organization prepare and give presentations on the tree and it's virtues. It is very nutritious and can fight malnutrition. Unfortunately, not many people in the community are aware of it and how to use it. Further projects would include support I'll give my partner organization. They give business trainings on many topics we discussed during training. I'll compare my notes with their models as they go about designing their trainings.

I've recently passed the six month anniversary of my arrival in Guinea. I feel I've made it over a significant hump. There were tough times, but I feel much more comfortable in general. I also believe it was tough enough that I would never choose to experience something like that again, at least not for a while. I now have friends, know some areas of my community, built relationships with my host family, and in general have a great deal of support. Equally as important, I've developed a number of coping mechanisms. I have ways of handling issues and that makes a huge difference. Overall, after being here and striving to learn about this country, I've grown an attachment to it. So every day there are things I don't like and ways I get past it and things I do like very much.

An island off the coast of Guinea. Some of the group treated ourselves to a trip following our training.















It is now mango season, which means people without won't go hungry for the time being. For me, I have a delicious mango whenever I fancy one, as my family has a number of grafted mango trees in their front yard.




















A waterfall near my city. It's only a trickle now compared to what it will be at the height of the rainy season, so I'm told.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures kate! it looks like paradise hahah. Can you jump off the waterfall like at Bartlett? Glad you are well. Miss you!!!!!!
Love, Kelly